Friday, January 2, 2009

New Bedford Clam Chowder

My mother-in-law makes this for Christmas every year. She got it from a woman she did some catering for when she lived in Boston, so it's authentic and has some nice family history behind it. It's not as thick as most clam chowders. I would guess this is because of the lack of potatoes.

2 T salt pork cubes (or 2 T butter and 1 t bacon pieces)*
1/2 c chopped onion
1 lb scallops
2 10 oz cans whole baby clams with juice
1/4 c butter
1/4 c sherry or white cooking wine
2 c whole milk
2 c cream
salt, pepper, parsley to taste

Saute salt pork cubes until crisp, discard pork cubes and saute onion in remaining fat until soft (The only salt pork I could find required me to buy a pound of it, which I wasn't willing to do for 2 T of it. Then, I meant to use the bacon instead, but I got lazy, so I just added a little more salt).

Dredge scallops in flour. Shake off excess and brown lightly in pan. Add wine or sherry and simmer briefly (to cook). Add remaining ingredients and simmer gently until warmed through.

This recipe will feed 8 adults with leftovers. I forgot this and doubled the butter and nothing else, which made it rich and delicious, but more for something to dip your bread in rather than a soup to eat. Next year, I'll get it right!

No comments: