Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lahvosh Wraps

When I was about 8, Kate and I took a summer cooking class together from a couple of teenagers in the ward. It was so fun, but I think what I really liked was being in their fancy house and swimming after the cooking class.

The two recipes below are some from those classes in 1986 (yikes!) when wraps meant something very different than what we think of today.

Lavhosh can also be called "Cracker bread." They're giant (like 15" round) crackers, and they're kind of hard to find. I got one package at my local Safeway and opened it to find the crackers all broken. Not one was good enough to make the wraps. So, I went to my local Middle Eastern bakery (conveniently, that's it's name, too) and got some lovely whole ones.

As I made these, I realized there is no end of combinations of what can be made here. All you need is about 1/2 cup of a spread to help everything "stick." I made an advocado, bacon, turkey wrap Asher-safe by making a lemon soy mayonnaise (mayo made with soy needs a little something to take away the aftertaste. I recommend mixing garlic or lemon in to help). But, my favorite was a vegetarian wrap with blue cheese, 1/2 c mayonnaise, lots of veggies, and this vinagrette.

Still with me? Oh good! Here's the original recipe, but it's easy to make modifications. Just sprinkle whatever ingredients you like as you would when topping a pizza (see first picture).

Valley Wrap Chicken

1 large Lahvosh, softened (see below for my explanation)
1 package cream cheese, softened
1/3 c mayonnaise
5 ounces deli-sliced turkey
4 ounces jack cheese, thinly sliced or shredded (shredded--much easier!)
1 cup shredded lettuce or alfalfa sprouts
1/4 c toasted, sliced almonds

To soften lahvosh, get a large towel wet, not dripping wet, but good and moist. Place it on your kitchen counter and put 1 lahvosh on it. Fold half of towel over it. Tell your husband, so he won't put the towel in the dirty clothes (sigh...). Let it sit overnight or at least 4 hours to soften.

Put sesame seed side on counter. Mix sfotened cream cheese and mayonnaise together until smooth; spread evenly on lavosh. Arrange turkey slices to completely cover lahvosh. Layer cheese, lettuce. Scatter almonds over all.

Roll tightly in jelly-roll fashion. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours. Slice as you would a jelly-roll and enjoy!

Oh, and did I mention Asher is back on soy? No more $60 a can supplemental formula! And, a whole continent of cuisine has just opened up to us.

**again, Jessica--thanks for the pictures!

No comments: