Saturday, January 24, 2009

Flan

I got this recipe from the wife of a friend Nate grew up with. She just rattled it right off the top of her head and made it sound so easy. So, I made it for a party later. People loved it and gasped, "You made flan?! I thought it was so difficult!" This means that ever since people have told me flan is hard to make, I make this and am terrified every time that it won't turn out. Oh, the power of suggestion.

Flan
Daisy Weeks

Caramel:
1 C sugar
1 1/4 C water

Mix over heat until golden. This is the part where I've had trouble; I can't get the caramel syrup golden unless I melt the sugar over medium high heat (stir, stir, stir) until it's golden. Then, I add very hot water (slowly) and stir it in.

Mix in blender:
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
5 eggs
1 t vanilla
1/3 c milk

Pour caramel in a 9X9 or 8X8 or pie dish. Then, pour the milk/egg mixture over. Put the pan in a bigger pan of water. Bake for 50 min at 350 degrees. I'm very diligent about the time here because it's hard to tell when flan is done. When you shake it, it should move about as much as jello. Let it cool for 1-2 hours in the fridge, run a knife around it, and flip it onto a serving plate.

Prepare for lots of ooh's and aah's.

No comments: