Sunday, December 6, 2009

Vegetable Soup

Now that cold weather has finally turned cold I thought I should share this recipe:
This basic soup can be made with any combination of fresh or frozen vegetables, so you can switch it up and it will taste different each time.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 C chopped onions or leeks
1 C thinly sliced celery
2 tsp Italian seasoning
3 cans (14.5oz) vegetable or chicken broth
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes with juice
1 Tbsp tomato paste
8 C mixed fresh or frozen vegetables (I like to do carrots, potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans but really the sky is the limit. I've also done cabbage and cauliflower.)

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and Italian seasoning; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add broth, tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, and 2 1/2 C water to pot; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce and heat to simmer, and cook, uncovered for 20 minutes.
Add vegetables to pot, and return to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired.

Now I know I got this off of a recipe blog 2 years ago but for the life of me don't remember where so special to the mysterious blogger who gave me this recipe.

This recipe is also great to freeze and save for later!

1 comment:

EmilyCC said...

What a great recipe!