Thursday, December 17, 2009

Gingerbread People

I've never tried another gingerbread recipe because I love this one so much that I've never felt the need. These are decadent with just the right amount of spices. Mrs. Fields has a recipe for icing, but the thing I love most about gingerbread people is that they can be decorated with red hots, sprinkles, and chocolate chips BEFORE they're baked.

I'm so lazy that I just never do icing or frosting on cookies.

On a completely unrelated note, will they take away my feminist card if I call them "gingerbread men?" :)

Gingerbread Men
Mrs. Fields' Cookie Book

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 t ground cinnamon
2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
1 c salted butter, softened
3/4 c dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
1/2 c unsulfured molasses

Whisk together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in medium bowl.

In mixer, cream butter and sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add egg and molasses, and beat on medium speed until smooth. Scrape bowl and add the flour mixture. Belnd on low speed just until combined; do not overmix. It will be magically clear when you've mixed enough.

Separate dough into 2 balls and flatten into disks. Wrap each disk tightly in plastic wrap or a plastic bag, and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. With floured cookie cutters cut into gingerbread men. Gather scraps and reroll dough until all dough is used. Place on ungreased baking sheets 1/2 inch apart. This is where I decorate with the above mentioned items.

Bake 9-11 minutes being careful not to borwn. Transfer to cool flat surface with spatula.

No comments: