Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pumpkin Soup

Rachel and I both remember the Thanksgiving our mom made this soup; I was 12, she was 7. It was delicious, but my mom insisted she didn't have the recipe anymore. After digging through her recipe folder (a treasure!), I found this along with menus of elegant parties and lunches she had given in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Pumpkin Soup
Mary Clyde


1/2 c butter
1 large onion sliced
3/4 c green onion
1 16 oz can pumpkin
4 c chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 t sugar
1/4-1/2 t curry
1/8-1/4 t nutmeg
parsley
2 c milk
half and half or cream
salt and pepper

Melt butter in 6 quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Saute onions until soft and golden. Stir in pumpkin, stock, bay, sugar, spices. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes. Stirr occasionally. Take out bay leaf. Transfer soup in batches and puree. Return to sauce pan. Add milk, cream (to equal 2 cups) and salt and pepper. Simmer 5-10 minutes, but don't boil.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I can't wait to make this! I have been wishing and waiting for this recipe for FOREVER:)