Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Buttermilk Waffles

I can usually take or leave waffles. They're ok, but usually, the recipes I've tried taste too much like baking powder. I made a batch of these for Asher's preschool class last week with egg replacer ("W" is for "waffle"--my kind of preschool thinking, matching letters with foods!), and wasn't sure how they'd turn out. These are delicious, though. Really, my new THE waffle recipe.


Buttermilk Waffles
Gourmet Cookbook

3 c all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1 t salt
3 1/4 c well-shaken buttermilk
1 1/2 sticks (12 T) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat waffle iron. Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, butter, and eggs. Stir until smooth (batter will be thick).

Brush waffle iron lightly with vegetable oil, if necessary, and spoon batter into waffle iron, using 1/2 c batter for each 4-inch Belgian waffle or 1/4 c batter for each 4-inch standard waffle iron and spreading batter evenly (I used about 1/2 c for my waffle iron). Cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer waffle to a baking sheet and keep warm, uncovered, in oven. Make more waffles with remaining batter in same manner.

Serve with butter and maple syrup. Actually, I think these would be fabulous with some savory waffle toppings, like ricotta cheese and spinach.

No comments: