Saturday, October 31, 2009

Deer Valley Resort's Turkey and Black Bean Chili

This is what we're having tonight for dinner (because you can't beat a chili that uses a stick of butter!). Leonore made this a couple years ago and won our ward's Chili Cook-off and comes from the all-famous Arcadia/Camelview Ward cookbook, submitted by Sharon Williams, who also submitted my favorite pumpkin bread.

Deer Valley Resort's Turkey and Black Bean Chili
Arcadia/Camelview Ward Cookbook
Sharon Williams

2 cans black beans, drained
1 (4 oz) can mild green chilies, drained
2/3 c red onion, chopped I used a whole small/medium sized on
2/3 c celery, chopped I used 2 stalks
2/3 c red bell pepper, chopped I used 1 whole red bell pepper
2/3 c chopped leeks (white part only) 1 med/large leek--can you tell I don't have much patience for measuring?
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T oregano, I assumed this meant dried oregano; I used a scant 2 T dried oregano
1 stick butter when Asher was still allergic to dairy, I sauteed the vegetables in 1/4 c olive oil, which takes away some of the richness of the chili, but still well worth making the recipe
1/4 c flour
4 c shredded turkey 1 Costco rotisserie chicken will work nicely
4 C chicken broth
2 1/2 C thawed frozen corn
2 T chili powder
2 T ground cumin
1/2 t salt afterwards, I seasoned a bit more with added salt and pepper
1/4 c brown sugar I did about 2 T brown sugar

In a stock pot, saute chilies, onion, celery, pepper, leeks, garlic and oregano in butter over moderate heat for approximately 15 minutes until softened. Gradually add the flour, cooking over low heat until mixture is golden, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.

Gradually stir in chicken broth. In a blender put half or 1 1/4 c of the corn and puree. Add that and the remaining corn, meat, beans, and spices until heated through.

No comments: