Saturday, April 11, 2009

Creamy Tuna Twist

This is the time of year when I start to try to minimize turning on the stove or oven for dinner. It feels wasteful to me to be cooking as my air conditioner plugs away, ever diligently, to keep the house at 80 degrees. This recipe was a staple in our Arizona house growing up; in fact, my sister, Rachel, is sick of it. But, I still love it for all its deliciously 1970's/1980's flavors (frozen peas, egg noodles, dill).

1 C mayo I used "Vegannaise" to make it Asher-safe; the strong flavors of tuna, dill, and red onion covered any soy aftertaste
2 T cider vinegar
dash pepper
10-12 oz twist macaroni, cooked
1 can tuna, drained, flaked
1 C cooked peas
1 C sliced celery
½ c chopped red onion
¼ c fresh snipped dill or 1 T dried trust me, spring for the fresh dill
salt to taste


in large bowl stir together first 3 ingredients until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, toss to coat, well. Cover, chill. Serves 4.

No comments: