Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chewy Chocolate Cake

If I didn't trust my MIL's taste completely, I wouldn't have believed her when she told me there's a delicious egg, dairy, soy free chocolate cake I could make. Then, I saw this recipe in Kate's cookbook (and who's recipes are making up the bulk of my posts lately) and heard an NPR piece on this cake and how its popularity ebbs and flows (sorry, couldn't find the link to the story). An easy and economical keeper!

from In the Sweet Kitchen

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 c sugar
1/4 c natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

6 Tb canola oil
1 Tb white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c cool water

Oven to 350. Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Mix in wet ingredients until most of the lumps are smoothed out, but do not overbeat. Bake in 8x8 pan for 30 minutes (9x9 pan for 23-25). Cool completely—this extremely moist cake will fall apart if removed from the pan too soon. I like to serve it topped with ganache or chocolate sauce, although it’s even good topped with only a sprinkle of powdered sugar.

No comments: