Monday, March 9, 2009

Italian Sweet and Sour Broccoli Rabe

I was just complaining to my friend today that the latest recipes I have been trying just aren't blog-worthy. So, I was glad to finally have something come out tonight!

Cook's Country, April/May 2009

1 large bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), ends trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces so I thought broccoli rabe and broccolini were the same thing. They're not, but the broccolini has the same cooking time, just less leafy greens, and it is easily found at Trader Joe's.
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c golden raisins I used Craisins instead
3 T red wine vinegar
1 T orange juice I had an orange and squeezed (squoze?) it over the pan
1 T brown sugar

1. Blanch: bring 4 quarts water to boil in a large pot. Add broccoli rabe and 1 T salt and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
2. Make Sauce: heat oil in empty pot over medium heat until shimmering. Cook onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add raisins, vinegar, orange juice, and sugar and cook until syrupy, 3-5 minutes. Add drained broccoli rabe to pot to cook, stirring occasionally, until well coated and just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

No comments: