Friday, March 20, 2009

Tortilla Pie

I think I'll be using recipes from my friend, Kate H.'s family cookbook that she emailed me over Christmas. I've now got two more vegetarian entrees to add to my meal rotation. Is it hard for anyone else to find vegetarian main courses? Meat is such a convenient focal point for dinner.

SEVEN-LAYER TORTILLA PIE
from Cooking Light November 1995

1 Tbs olive oil
1 c chopped red bell pepper--I skipped the green pepper and just chopped 2 whole red bell peppers
3/4 c chopped green bell pepper
1/2 c chopped red onion--I just chopped 1/2 of a large red onion
1/2 c chopped seeded Anaheim chile or 1 (4.5-oz) can chopped green
chiles, drained--I didn't drain my can of chiles because I like the flavor it added
2 Tbs minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 c no-salt-added tomato juice
2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained
2 (15-oz) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
1 c (4-oz) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1 c (4-oz) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Vegetable cooking spray
7 (8-inch) flour tortillas
Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add red bell pepper and next 7 ingredients (red bell pepper through cumin); sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato juice; cook 8 minutes or until reduced to 2 1/2 c.

Combine black beans and half of tomato juice mixture in a bowl; stir well. Stir cannellini beans into remaining tomato juice mixture. Set both aside. Combine cheeses in a bowl; toss well.
Line a 9-inch pie plate with foil, allowing 6 inches of foil to extend over opposite edges of pie plate. Repeat procedure with another sheet of foil, extending foil over remaining edges of pie plate. Coat foil with cooking spray, and place 1 tortilla in bottom of dish. Spread 1 c cannellini bean mixture over tortilla; sprinkle with 1/4 c cheeses. Place 1 tortilla over cheeses, pressing gently. Spread 1 c black bean mixture over tortilla; sprinkle with 1/4 c cheeses. Place 1 tortilla over cheeses, pressing gently. Repeat layers, ending with the remaining cannellini bean mixture and cheeses. (I don’t keep the cannellini and black bean layers separate-KH; I don't either-ECC).

Bring edges of foil to center; fold to seal. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes.
Remove from oven; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Remove foil packet from dish; unwrap pie, and slide onto serving plate using spatula. Cut into wedges; garnish with cilantro, if desired.
8 servings

No comments: