Sunday, October 19, 2008

Orange Zucchini Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

One of my blogging friends posted this on our listserve. I won't tell you how many times I've made it with the rationalization that the zucchini makes it healthy.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs (we use egg replacer)
1/2 cup wheat germ (I couldn't find this at my usual stores, so I used whole wheat flour instead)
1 1/2 tsp grated orange peel
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped nuts (left this out to make it allergy-safe for our family)

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs until well combined. Stir in wheat germ, peel, and vanilla. Add flour mixture, zucchini and nuts. Mix well. Spread evenly in greased 10 x 6 x 2 inch glass baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees F for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely. Spread with orange cream cheese frosting. 12 servings

I've made this as a cake and as cupcakes. I like the ease of the cupcakes, and the baking time was reduced a bit.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

3 ozs. cream cheese, softened
1 TBS margarine or butter, softened
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
1 1/1 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
Milk if needed (I used the orange juice from the orange I zested instead)

In small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, margarine and peel until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy and of spreading consistency. If mixture is too thick, add 1-2 tsps milk.

No comments: