Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chewy Granola Bars

In honor of the 200th post on this blog, I wanted to publish this delicious, healthy snack that I just made for my family. I've been tired of sending my first grader with PB & J, a cup of water, and a small tub of applesauce for lunch. He needed an extra snack so tonight I tried this.

1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup corn syrup or honey
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oats (I used whole oats)
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup raisins
6 tablespoons toasted wheat germ (or raw)
2 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (or raisins)
Directions:
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Stir in the oats, sunflower kernels, raisins, wheat germ and sesame seeds. Fold in chocolate chips. (I thought they would have been just as delicious w/o the chocolate chips, and I am a HUGE chocolate fan).
2. Press into an jelly roll pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until set and edges are browned. Cool completely on a wire rack (overnight, if possible). Cut into bars.

Other options include adding 1/4 C egg whites for more protein, adding nuts instead of seeds, and replacing the chocolate chips with other dried fruit, like craisins. You could also use flax seed instead of wheat germ. Some have used light olive oil instead of butter. There are a lot of combinations, but this recipe is so good I couldn't stop eating the mix raw as I was making it. Delicious!

Credits, although I doubled the recipe. Who only wants an 8 x 8 pan? Crazy, I say!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this. Sounds delicious and healthy.

Jessica Steed said...

Yes, they are delicious and healthy!

EmilyCC said...

Oh, yes! These do look SO good. (I made a granola bar recipe a few weeks ago, and while it was good, it was more a cookie than a granola bar.)

Keri Brooks said...

I'm totally going to have to try this. It looks delicious! I love granola bars, but buying them at the store can get so pricey.