Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Simple Kid-Friendly Spaghetti Squash

In our quest to reduce our meat intake and include more vegetables in our diet, I found a delicious recipe that is really kid friendly.

First, you start by taking your kids to the produce market. "I heard there is a squash that looks like a watermelon, but it's yellow, and when it's cooked, the inside is like spaghetti!" Then they can help you find it. Pick the most yellow squash without any soft spots or bruises.

I didn't know how easy it is to cook a spaghetti squash. Just prick it with a fork and bake it at 350 for an hour. (You're supposed to put it in a baking dish, I guess to catch any drips, but I forgot this step)

  • 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash
  • 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/4-1/2 Cup Butter or Olive Oil (I used olive oil)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
After you bake the squash for 1 hr, let it cool until you can touch it. Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Use a fork to shred the rest of it into a bowl. Add the other ingredients.

Tonight I served this with Caesar salad, and a marinara sauce (a little pasta noodles for the kids in case they didn't like it). I used the Cherry Tomato sauce from Fresh and Easy.

I liked the sauce on top of the squash. It's way better than I expected.

I will definately be using this recipe again. It's one of the few that's, delicious, easy, and cheap. (It's also low prep.)

No comments: