Monday, March 29, 2010

Curried Couscous

I'm not usually a huge fan of couscous, but I love this recipe and was so excited to have a new summer recipe. This with the Indonesian Ginger chicken grilled will be a mainstay for us this summer.

1 1/2 cups couscous
1 T unsalted butter I used olive oil
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup plain yogurt I think full fat Greek yogurt made this dish
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 t white wine vinegar
1 t curry powder
1/4 t ground turmeric I left this out
1 1/2 t kosher salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated carrots I was missing this, so I used 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup dried currents I used craisins
1/4 cup blanched, sliced almonds
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup small-diced red onion I dropped this and used a bunch of scallions instead

Place the couscous in a medium bowl. Melt the butter in the boiling water and pour over the couscous. Cover tightly I used Saran Wrap and allow the couscous to soak for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Whisk together the yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry, turmeric, salt and pepper. Pour over the fluffed couscous and mix well with a fork. Add the carrots, parsley, currants, almonds, scallions, and red onion. Mix well and tase for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.

No comments: