Thursday, July 2, 2009

Corn, Arugula, and Cherry Tomato Salad

This picture doesn't do this salad justice. It's very pretty and even after it's dressed, it stays quite fresh. (I had it for lunch the next day while my kids ate Dino Chicken Nuggets because they have such refined tastes.)

But, be warned, I thought this was one of the BEST recipe finds I had made for quite a while, and if I could eat it every day this summer, I would. Nate, on the other hand, wasn't that impressed.

Corn, Arugula, and Cherry Tomato Salad
Williams-Sonoma Grilling Essentials

5 slices lean bacon, cooked and chopped
6-8 large ears of corn, shucked I found 6 to be plenty
2 C cherry tomatoes
1 bunch arugula (rocket), tough stems removed
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c fresh lime juice
salt and freshly cracked pepper

Oil grill rack. Note to self: don't spray cooking spray on the grill rack AFTER the grill is on--sigh...Grill the corn directly over the heat elements, turning occasionally, until just tender, 10-12 minutes total. The corn will char and be delicious.

Transfer the corn to a cutting board and let cool just until it can be handled. Cut off kernels. In a bowl, combine corn kernels, bacon, tomatoes, arugula, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. Toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve salad soon after.

Add crumbled goat cheese for an added treat!

No comments: