Friday, June 5, 2009

Block Party Beans

So, I have this goal to publish one dinner a week this summer that doesn't involve using an oven and/or no more than 5 minutes with a stove on (their label will be "summer"), but this recipe is too good to pass up. I loved it, my kids loved it (and my 4-year old loved that it was a dish that had the word, "party" in it), and my husband loved it.

I suspect it can be easily adapted to the Crock Pot; once I practice it, I'll post the adaptation.

Block Party Beans
Cook's Country

2 1/2 pounds 85% lean ground beef I used 1 pound since I halved this recipe
1 onion, chopped fin
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 15 oz cans beans, drained and rinsed I used 3 cans since I did less meat: red beans, black beans, navy beans
2 28 oz cans tomatoe sauce I used a jar of spaghetti sauce
1/2 c barbeque sauce
1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c cider vinegar
1/2 t red pepper flakes I left this out
salt and pepper
12 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces I used frozen green beans to cut down on cooking time
1 10 ounce package frozen lima beans didn't have these

Make sauce: adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook beef in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Drain beef in colander, then return to pot. Stir in onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, sugar, vinegar, pepper flakes, 1/2 t salt, and 1/2 t pepper and bring to boil.

Bake: Transfer pot to oven and cook, covered, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes I found 18-20 min adequate with halved recipe. Stir in green beans and lima beans and continue to cook, covered, until green beans are tender, about 30 minutes mine were done in 12. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Serves 10-12.

No comments: