Monday, May 18, 2009

Blueberry Muffins

From my handy Gourmet cookbook. I have wanted to make these for a while. These, like the Gourmet banana bread, definitely have "more goodness."

Batter:
6 T unsalted butter
1/3 c whole milk all I had was half and half--darn!
1 egg
1 egg yolk
3/4 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
2 c (12 ounces) blueberries I used 2 cups of frozen wild blueberries--much cheaper

Topping:
3 T cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 c all purpose flour
3 1/2 T sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter muffin cups. I used paper liners instead.

Melt butter in small saucepan over moderately low heat; remove from heat. Whisk in milk, egg, yolk, and vanilla until well combined.

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Add milk mixture and stir until just combined. My dough was really tight, and I knew folding in blueberries, even frozen ones, would be difficult. I added 3 T more of half and half to loosen the dough. Gently but throughly fold in blueberries.

Divide batter among muffin cups and spread evenly.

Combine all topping ingredients in bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over batter in cups. I might make an additional half recipe of the topping; I'd love to have more crumbs on top.

Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick or skewer inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Then, remove from cups. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: