Friday, August 22, 2008

Cafe Rio/Costa Vida Lunch

I'm not sure if the East Coasters in our group are familiar with Costa Vida or Cafe Rio, but they're tasty Baja-style Mexican resturants in Utah and Arizona (maybe elsewhere, now?). Jessica gave me this recipe. It's such a handy one for a quick party meal.

Costa Vida Sweet Pork

6 (approx) pounds of port butt/shoulder
1 19oz. Red Enchilada Sauce
1 can Dr. Pepper or (20oz)
1 tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Garlic salt
½ c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. Fresh cilantro, chopped

*Wrap meat in foil. Put in roasting pan and bake at 275 degrees for 5 h ours. Pull the meat out and let it cool for 30 minutes then shred. In separate bowl, mix the enchilada sauce, Dr. Pepper, salt, garlic salt, brown sugar and chopped cilantro. Pour over meat and mix.

Um, I just throw all of these ingredients (except the cilantro) in the crock pot and mix the above ingredients in the crock pot. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. I'm sure roasting would make it delicious, but during an Arizona summer, it would make my kitchen about 105 degrees.

Café Rio Salad Dressing

1 1/3 c. sour cream
¾ c. mayonnaise
½ bunch cilantro chopped
1 package ranch dressing mix
4 Tbsp. Salsa verde (green salsa)
2 cloves of garlic
1/8 tsp. Tabasco sauce (optional)
Juice of one lime
Milk to thin it out

*mix together in blender and that’s it!

Cilantro Lime Rice

3 c. cooked white rice (or brown)
1 tsp. Lime zest, minced (optional)
1-2 Tbsp. Fresh lime juice
2-3 Tbsp. Cilantro, finely minced really small

*Toss lime juice, and cilantro with the cooked rice. Serve warm or cold.

2 comments:

Jessica Steed said...

Ah, the crock pot.
You are sooo clever, Emily. (I haven't made this recipe since March for that reason!)

Whenever I use my crock pot in the summer (a few times a week) I plug it in on my back porch. No heat in the house at all!
(btw, I wrap potatoes in foil and cook them for baked potatoes, with cheese and sour cream; my kid's favorite)

Fred Abaroa said...

East Coasters there is a Costa Vida in South Portland Maine and soon there will be two in Boston. If you are in the North East come experience the worlds best eaters compete for the Costa Vida World Burrito Eating Championships, September 20, 2008 at 209 Western Ave, South Portland, ME, 12 noon.