Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Amy's Curried Cauliflower Soup

My friend posted a soup recipe made out of pantry staples that sounded so good, I knew I had to make a special trip to Trader Joe's to get the yellow curry sauce. (Apparently, you can get it from Amazon, too.)

I bulked it up with some items I had to use, too.

Amy's Curried Cauliflower Soup
1 yellow onion, diced
1 bag riced cauliflower, in the bagged salad/coleslaw produce section of the grocery store
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch grated fresh ginger, I learned from Martha Stewart to keep my ginger in the freezer, stays fresh forever and way easier to grate
1 can coconut milk
8 to 10 ounces chicken stock
1 jar Trader Joe's yellow curry sauce

Saute onions first. When they start to get soft, add cauliflower, garlic and ginger. Saute until cauliflower is soft, too (this happens quickly, 2-3 min). Add coconut milk, chicken stock and yellow curry sauce and simmer for about 10 min. I don't know that this is necessary, but I was chopping toppings for the soup at the time.

Put soup in blender with hard plastic middle core pulled out and a dishcloth over the hole. Puree and serve.

Toppings
cilantro
green onion
lime

I added fried tofu (drained wrapped in a dishtowel for half and hour, cut in slices, dredged in corn starch and fried with about 1/2 c canola oil in a cast iron skillet) and thawed some frozen shrimp for extra protein.

No comments: