Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Apple Crepes

Jaxon found Professor Fizzy on PBS kids.org. He makes healthy food and explains nutrition to the kids in a fun way. (They have lots of cute recipe ideas that kids can help with. Don't try the chickpea cakes, they're terrible)

Our new favorite recipe is for Apple Crepes. Jaxon asks for it every morning.

Crepes (this is my SiL's recipe)

1 C Whole wheat flour (I like white wheat but red works, too)
1 egg
Raw Sugar (I use 1/4 cup but you can use less or none at all)
Milk (we've been off dairy so we used coconut milk or almond milk, but soy and rice would work too)
Orange Zest (if you have it, we haven't used it)

Add milk to mixture until it's a really thin pancake batter. You can make crepes in a frying pan or use a crepe maker like ours (you can borrow it! We got ours for $20 at Tuesday Morning).

Apple Filling (this is also good as a pancake topping)

2 peeled and chopped apples
1/4 C honey
1/2 C juice (we like cherry, but grape or orange work as well)
1 t cinnamon

Cook on med-high heat until apples are soft.

Put on one quarter of an open crepe, fold in half then half again and top with whipped cream!

1 comment:

k said...

Mmm, crepes. I need to try crepes. I think they will work nicely in my cast iron pan with lots of butter. I'm gonna try it!