Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pasta add-ins

We eat a lot of noodles with red sauce at our house (it's the only way I can get my kids to eat zucchini, bell pepper and carrots), so I've had a lot of time to figure out what add-ins we like.

I take 1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I like Ragu Robusto line) and 1 14 ounce can of tomatoes as my base.

Then, I saute in a little olive oil:
1/2 pound chicken sausage (note: Arizonans, I love Sprouts' "Mild Arizona Chicken Sausage")
1/2 pound ground beef
1 bell pepper (yellow is my favorite)
2 stalks celery
handful of baby carrots
1 zucchini, grated (I'm not a fan, but in the sauce, it just melts away)
1 med onion
3-4 garlic cloves, minced

At the end, if I'm feeling really fancy:
1 T fresh oregano
1/4 c of basil

Then, I add, oh, a lot of goat cheese (1-2 ounces) to Nate's and my portions.

Do you have pasta add-ins?

1 comment:

yowassup said...

i wish more people had replied to this--would love to hear some fast and easy pasta recipes. my favorite is a knockoff of something i get at the macaroni grill:

mix red and white jar sauces to get a 'pink' sauce. add in grilled or cooked chicken, toasted pine nuts, broccoli (or fresh spinach), roasted red peppers and/or sliced sundried tomatoes. top with parmesan and black pepper